Deputy Chief of the Hellenic Navy General Staff
Rear Admiral Ioannis Paxivanakis HN, was born in Athens on June 30st, 1962.
He joined the Hellenic Naval Academy in 1981, graduated and was commissioned as Ensign of the Hellenic Navy in June 1985.
His career path and promotions listed below:
1988 Lieutenant Junior Grade OFF – 1
1992 Lieutenant OFF – 2
1997 Lieutenant Commander OFF – 3
2002 Commander OFF – 4
2010 Captain OFF – 5
2015 Commodore OFF – 6
March 2017 Rear Admiral OFF – 7
His sea duty assignments, as a junior officer, include various tours.
He served from 1985 to 1997 mainly on Destroyers and Frigates as Communications, Electronic Warfare and Operations Officer, Weapons Officer and Executive Officer.
As Commanding Officer served onboard:
- HS (GB) ARMATOLOS (1997 – 1999)
- HS (FFGH) NAVARINON (2007 – 2009)
His shore and staff assignments as senior officer encompassing the following services:
- Head Department of A1 and A2 HNGS Directorate
- Frigates School as Staff Officer
- HNDGS/National Operations Center as Staff Officer
- CC MAR NAPLES as Head Department CIS
- STRIKFORNATO as Deputy COS
- Deputy Director in the Office of Chief HNGS
- Commander of the Headquarter East Mediterranean Command
- Director in the Military Office of Alternate Minister of National Defence.
Rear Admiral Paxivanakis is specialized in Communications and Electronic Warfare systems, he is a graduate of the Hellenic Naval War College and the ΝΑΤΟ Defence College (NADEFC) in Italy.
He has been awarded with all the medals, decorations and commendations stipulated for an officer of his rank and seniority.
He speaks English professionally.
He is married and has two children.