On Friday 24th November 2017, the DV-Day’s activities of the Exercise “NIRIIS 2017” took place in the sea area of Maleme, Crete.
The activities were attended by the HNGS Chief Vice Admiral Nikolaos Tsounis HN, the HAGS Chief Lieutenant General Alkiviadis Stefanis, the HAFGS Chief Lieutenant General Christos Christodoulou, the British Ambassador to Greece Ms Kate Smith, Defence Attachés of participating countries as well as Senior Officers.
The schedule of the DV Day included activities of maritime security operations and civilians’ evacuation operations under multiple threats.
The multinational invitex exercise “NIRIIS 2017” was designed by the Hellenic Navy, and was conducted in three phases, from 17th to 25th November 2017.
- The first phase included the concentration of ships and personnel at the Souda Naval Base, the training of personnel at the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre (NMIOTC) and the installations of Maleme Airport, Chania, as well as the conduction of coordination meetings.
- The second phase included technical and tactical exercises in the southern Aegean Sea and North Cretan Sea.
- The third phase included the sailing of the participants at the Souda Naval Base, and Hot Wash Up - ΗWU at the NMIOTC.
The Hellenic Navy participated with the frigates HS ADRIAS, HS LIMNOS, HS NIKIFOROS FOKAS, HS NAVARINON with organic helicopters, the submarines HS MATROZOS and HS POSEIDON, the fast attack crafts HS RITSOS and HS KRISTALLIDIS, the landing ship HS CHIOS, the General Support Ships PROMETHEUS and HS ALIAKMON, as well as with teams and crafts from the Underwater Demolition Command. Moreover, Hellenic Army participated with marines, parachutists as well as helicopters and Hellenic Airforce participated with fighting aircrafts.
- The Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 (SNMG-2) participated with the HMS Ocean (the SNMG-2 flagship) along with US and Royal Marines.
- The Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 2 (SNMCMG-2) participated with the HMS Enterprise (the SNMCMG-2 flagship) and the mine hunters HS EVROPI, BGS SHKVAL, ITS CROTONE and TCG ALANYA.
- The Israeli Navy participated with the corvette INS EILAT, with an organic helicopter as well as the fast attack crafts INS HETZ and INS TARSHISH.
- The Egyptian Navy participated with two (2) observers Officers.
- The Montenegrin Navy participated with one (1) observers Officer.
The Exercise focused on both the traditional and modern maritime threats, as well as on activities of maritime security operations and civilians’ evacuation operations under multiple threats. The enhancement of the cooperation and mutual understanding among participants at Allied level was also observed.