On Friday 30th June 2017, the multinational Exercise “ADRION LIVEX – CAX 2017” was completed with the Hot Wash Up, in presence of the Chief of the Hellenic Fleet Vice Admiral Ioannis Pavlopoulos HN and the Commander of NATO’s Allied Maritime Command Vice Admiral Clive CC Johnstone CB CBE RN, at the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre – NMIOTC, Souda Crete Naval Base.
During the Exercise, activities and drills through a scenario that addressed security challenges in the maritime environment were held. All the objectives of the exercise, including the promotion and enhancement of the cooperation, mutual understanding and interoperability among the Navies of Adriatic-Ionian Initiative – ADRION, were successfully completed.
From June 20th to June 30th 2017, the Exercise was organised by the Hellenic Navy, in the maritime area of South Crete, with the participation of personnel and units of all the member states (Albania, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Montenegro and Slovenia).
The Hellenic Navy participated with:
- The Commander of 2nd Frigates Squadron, as Commander of the Naval Force and Staff Officers.
- The frigate HS ADRIAS as Flag Ship, with organic helicopter.
- Hellenic Fleet Sea Riders (mobile team), who provided training in Damage Control and Combat serials.
- Facilities and personnel of NMIOTC, for training in Maritime Interdiction Operations serials and for the execution of the simulation exercise.
- The facilities of the Souda Naval Base.
The rest of member states participated with the following units:
- Albania: patrol ship ALS LISSUS (P-133).
- Italy: corvette ITS CIGALA FULGOSI (P-490) and organic helicopter AB-212.
- Croatia: fast patrol boat HRV VUKOVAR (RTOP-41).
- Montenegro: frigate MNE P-34.
- Slovenia: patrol ship SVN TRIGLAV (11).