Inspired from the bravery of Greeks at the naval battle of Salamine, the crest of the ship portrays the helmet that brought Greek and a trireme, the martial boat of ancient Greeks. According to Thoukididis, it was manufactured for first time in the Corinthus, the 704 p.H. roughly. From each side had three lines from oars, a line above the other, two sails and a piston in the prow. It was boat agile and his speed it reached the 8 miles the hour.
Builder Company: ROYAL SCHELDE - HOLLAND
Start building: 3 October 1977
Launched: 11 August 1979
Activation: 2 December 1981
Rise of Greek Flag: 24 October 2003
Length (m): 130,5
Beam (m): 14,60
Tonnage: 3500 t.
Speed: 32 Knots
Commissioned in Hellenic Navy: 24 October 2003 Den Helder Holland
Previously commissioned in other navies: 2-12-1981 until 24-10-2003 Koninkljke Marine (Holland).
13-1-2005 until 31-7-2005 Standing NATO Response Force Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2)
In recognition of the great Athenian politician, general and admiral, THEMISTOCLES (525- 461B.C.) and his bravery during the victorious naval battle of Salamis (480 B.C.) against the Persians, the Hellenic Navy ever since 1821 named five ships after him. The first two were modified merchant ships which participated in the Independence War against the Ottoman Empire. The third ship was an Escort Destroyer (D-09), which was transferred from the Royal Navy in 1942, during WW II and was returned in 1961. The fourth ship was an American Destroyer of the GEARING FRAM II Class (D-210), which was commissioned between 1971 and 1992. The last one was an American Destroyer of the C.F. ADAMS Class (D-221), which was commissioned in 1992 and remained in service until 2002.
HS THEMISTOKLIS is called to undertake missions that are described below depending on the case:
- Maintenance high of operational readiness
- Monitoring of National Marine Space
- Research-rescue and benefit of help in situations of emergency
- Attendance in inter-allied exercises and missions in the frames of forces of direct intervention aiming at the maintenance of International peace and safety
- Naval presence, projection of force and demonstration of Greek Flag
- Attendance in activities/enterprises that serve the National interest.
- Maintenance of safety and marine control of Greek territorial watersMission-attendance In International Exercises
- Protection of Greek rights and interests
- Attendance in the defence of NATO
Attendance in big enterprises: 13-1-2005 until 31-7-2005 Attendance in the force Standing NATO Response Force Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2)
V. PAPPAS H.N.
S. MPANOS H.N.
D. SATARAKIS H.N.
Κ. ΚARAMPELAS H.N.
S. DIMOPOULOS H.N.
S. DIMOPOULOS H.N.
Ν. LYMPERAKIS H.N.